What you will need:
- 6 ears of fresh corn, peeled
- 2 large tomatoes, core then grill (see below)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup total red, & green bell pepper (I like to get the bag of mixed baby bell peppers, it’s easier to use than the small ones so I don’t have to waste half a large one)
- ¼ can black beans rinsed (I typically make the relish with tacos or burritos so I can use the remaining beans with that dish)
- 1 Jalapeno finely chopped seeds and veins removed (optional)
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Peel 6 ears of fresh corn. Coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Core 2 large tomatoes, slit an X in the bottom and coat those with olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
We love to grill anything we can to get the Caveman flavor. So heat up your grill and lightly grill both the corn and the tomatoes. Turn the corn frequently (we do not want blackened corn, just lightly grilled). The tomatoes will only take a few minutes just enough to heat them up but not make them mushy. This adds a little depth of flavor. Once grilled, remove both items and set aside to let them cool. (Tomatoes can be put into refrigerator)
I always prefer to use fresh corn in any dish, ears of corn are cheap and add great texture to any meal.
Shave the corn from the cob and put into bowl. In a separate bowl, put your chopped red onion and coat with 4tbsp red wine vinegar and let rest for 10 minutes.
With corn, mix in the bell peppers and jalapeno. Chop the tomatoes and add to mixture. Mix ¼ cup of black beans and stir. Combine the red onion mixture into corn relish mixture and stir. Add salt and pepper. Don’t forget to taste your food and make adjustments as necessary!
Drizzle a light amount of balsamic vinegar over the mixture and stir. Top with cilantro and additional salt & pepper, if needed.